Friday, November 30, 2007

Surfing for the Weekend – Weird Weather and Poo Water

I think that if you can stand staying out of the water you may want to avoid surfing this weekend. We will have waves thanks to a mix of WNW swell and local windswell but the combination of junky winds and poor water quality will make things pretty nasty.

Expect poor-shaped waist-shoulder high surf for W facing beaches on Saturday. W winds will be blowing 10-20+ knots through the morning and then gradually taper off through the late afternoon. The rain should have passed through as well by the end of the day.

Sunday winds are looking better but overall wave heights will drop as the WNW’er fades and the windswell drops off fast. Most spots slip back into the knee-waist high+ range. Plus, even though conditions will be better water quality will still be very poor thanks to the rain-runoff making its way down to the beach.

Most Health groups recommend that you wait at least 72 hours after a heavy rain before going in the ocean…spots near storm-drains and river mouths can take even longer to get back to safe levels.

I think I will stick to watching football this weekend…I may look at the surf but I don’t have any plans to paddle out…I think I will wait for that bigger W-WNW’er that hits next week.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: