Friday, August 1, 2008

Waves for the weekend - Fun surf but expect the crowd

We will have some fun surf over the weekend with both Saturday and Sunday being decent surf days.

Over the next couple of days we will have a mix of fading S swell, some SW energy, and a continued blend of WNW-NW windswell from our local waters.

Look for most exposed spots to hold in the waist-chest high range. Standout S-SW facing spots and good combo breaks will see some chest-shoulder high sets...and possibly a couple of very inconsistent bigger sets on the lower tides.

Winds will be fairly clean in the morning with light/variable to light SW texture at some of the more open beaches. All spots will have onshore winds out of the W-NW around 10-14 knots by the afternoon.

San Diego and Orange County will have the biggest waves over the weekend but thanks to the slightly more S-SW swell direction (as opposed to SE) the surf will show about the same size at most of the top breaks in both counties. I would still expect a little more consistency around South OC and North San Diego but I don’t think an extra couple of waves will make a longer drive worth it.

It is supposed to be pretty hot inland this weekend (and nice along the beach as well) so I am expecting the crowd to be pretty silly...sort of like hands across America in some spots. Personally I think that it might be worth checking the bigger beach breaks for at least a chance at a little breathing room.

A little more dolphin love

So if you have been reading the blog over the last several posts you might have caught my near molestation by dolphins. Well they were back again today…about 12-15 of them…and no shit they were completely burning my buddy and I while we were surfing. I must have got dropped in on by flipper 2-3 times and same with my friend. Then to add insult to the burn they would come back and squeak at us (probably talking dolphin smack on how slow we swim). I guess they were pissed at my post or maybe I dress too seductively when I surf. Probably, what is more likely, is that my paddling/surfing style is so bad that the dolphins think I am in distress and they are trying to rescue me…then when they see that I am that lame all the time they just make fun of me. Anyway I am starting to really hate those big fish. (not really but they are starting to creep me out…I might try and get a job at Sea-World if this keeps up.)



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mammal... "I'm really starting to hate those freaking mammals!"... at least that's what some alcohol radio commercial says...

Anonymous said...

i do not like the dolphin gangbang and do not desire to witness or be invited to another one

Anonymous said...

yargghhh, the dolphins are upon us

{simpsons halloween special}

Anonymous said...

better Dolphins, than SHARKS!!!
ah-thank yuh....

JP from Surfy Surfy said...

They are not "burning" you, they are sharing the wave.