Monday, June 16, 2008

Tuesday's Surf - I am getting a little sick of going left

Ok I haven't really been going backside all that much...but with the near continuous run of SW swell that we have had for the last couple of weeks it definitely seems like I spend a lot of time watching some long fast lefts push through my local beach breaks (not to mention the south-to-north current). I think I am going to build an artificial reef (probably out of old Ford Mavericks) so that I can get a few longer rights off these SW swells. Anyway now that I have decided on my summer project I guess we can get into the forecast...



Tuesday will be another surf day but it will have issues with early winds and the general funkiness similar to the last couple of days.

Our SW swell will dip down slightly but overall it will continue to push in chest-shoulder high surf for the average exposed SW facing breaks. Standout SW facing surf spots in San Diego and Orange County will have shoulder-head high waves with some bigger sets continuing to mix in on the lower tides. There will also be some WNW windswell hanging in the background that will add a few creases to the more dominant SW energy, maybe even open up some short right-handers at the exposed beach breaks, and it should send in a few rideable waist-high+ waves to the more protected winter breaks.

Winds will start off light and variable but will have some light texture/warble showing at the more exposed areas. W winds in the 10-15 knot range will fill in through midday and into the afternoon.

Water temperatures also took a dive...I paddled out in HB today and the water had dropped from the mid-60s late last week to the upper-50s. Definitely back to the fullsuit in my area...not sure how it is in SD but I don't think that spots North of the OC are any warmer.

I think you are going to want to hit it early tomorrow...the winds are going to pick up pretty early. Don't expect it to be completely clean either no matter how early you get on it...it looks like the onshore bump will stay on it most of the night and will keep the more exposed beaches on the fugly side through the morning. Really your best bet is to head to a spot that has good exposure to the SW swell and a little bit of protection from the W-NW winds...something like a point/reef that has a little kelp/high-cliffs/pier/jetty to take the edge off. I probably wouldn't drive very far for surf just because of the winds but keep in mind that you are going to see the biggest waves through North San Diego and South Orange County...other areas will be a little smaller and less consistent.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

sick of goin left on these souths eh?

go north young man, I hear there's a secret point break that has been making love to these past couple souths like jackrabitts in heat. just south of Pepperdine, and it rhymes with bali-who.

Unknown said...

I have heard of that place. They say that it is a place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.

Yong Jung Shin said...

Dang had a huge paddle out yesterday. It seems like the breaks are further than usual.

Julie said...

I was thinking the exact same thing about recent paddle-outs. Talking to a guy in the water yesterday we were both going uh this is weird. Anyone know why?

Anonymous said...

going left rules!

Anonymous said...

Man! The water got cold again! I trunked it again today but I think I'll put the wetsuit back on tomorrow and stop being such a tough-guy.

offthetop said...

I see cold people!