Friday, January 2, 2009

Waves for the Weekend - Some weather funk but more surf too

This weekend looks like it will have some surf and some funky weather too...lets hope the weather moves out fast enough that we can get some waves on at least one of the days.

We are going to have a mix of new SW swell (195-215), some new WNW swell (285-300), and some building short-period WNW windswell. Really the windswell will be doing a lot of the work from a surf standpoint but the other swells should mix in enough to help cross it up and peak it up a bit more at the exposed breaks. This swell mix will start filling in later Friday night and should peak through both Saturday and Sunday.

Overall we can expect the average exposed breaks to hold in the waist-chest high range with a few shoulder high sets mixing in. The top combo spots that have good exposure to most of these swells will be more consistently in the chest-shoulder high range and may see some bigger sets on the lower tides.

Weather is where things get a bit on lame side. Saturday the forecasts are calling for a new cold front to push through. Sending in some stronger SW-NW flow on Saturday. Right now it looks like some rain showers with some onshore winds around 10-12 knots with some 15 knot gusts. This looks strongest on Saturday and then lightens up on Sunday…potentially even seeing some light offshore for the morning. Check out the COAMPS winds for the next couple of days.

Saturday Morning



Sunday Morning



Sometimes these fronts don’t push through as strong as the models are saying plus even in these COAMPS forecasts I am seeing some gaps in the onshore flow…both of which suggest that we should keep a close eye on it tomorrow…winds may not be as bad as the weather models suggest. It won’t be sunny and 70 or anything but it could be clean enough to surf. Sunday looks better on the COAMPS but it looks like there may still be some instability hanging around that will need watching as well.

Our best bet is going to be a cam check in the morning and if the winds don’t look too bad on the magic interweb box then do a quick drive-by of your favorite spot. San Diego/Ventura/South Bay spots look like they will be the biggest…but we could have some fun at the better combo breaks in OC and LA as well. Santa Barbara will have a few waves but should be smaller than the other areas.

Here are the tides…have a good weekend!

Saturday
01:41AM LST 4.2 H
08:06AM LST 2.1 L
01:01PM LST 3.2 H
07:26PM LST 1.2 L

Sunday
02:28AM LST 4.5 H
09:46AM LST 1.6 L
02:57PM LST 2.7 H
08:14PM LST 1.7 L

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to surf so freaking bad! I have been banking on some good waves showing up this weekend since the report after Christmas but of course good old onshore winds are likely mess everything up!

Anonymous said...

Adam,



I really, truly, honestly hate to be THAT guy but if you were to be surfing in the North OC this weekend and NEEDED to get wet and catch some waves what spot would you most likely choose? I check the waves twice daily and have never ever gone this long without surfing some waves. I am a bigger dude and need more than we have had to push my fat ass.

Once again so sorry for being THAT guy, it should show you just how desperate I am for some decent waves rather than showing that I am a loser who cant find waves myself! AHHHH WAVES!

I need more wave riding and less bowl sparking!

Unknown said...

Classic...I feel your pain...this lack of swell is getting retarded. Even my wife is fed up with me being stuck in the house.

Really if the winds hold up there should be a lot of options for North OC...North HB will probably be the biggest but there should be peaks all over Newp and HB...smaller as you move north. Cross your fingers that the winds don't hose us too bad.

Anonymous said...

I have to say, for the first time in my life (I'm 36), I hate San Diego. I'm so bummed. Have not had a quality day of surf in over 3weeks. I'm numb.

Anonymous said...

For anyone who wants to know what north OC looks like this morning (Sat am), just click on the Surfline cam for the HB Pier.

After watching for a few seconds while sipping your coffee, do NOT go rushing for your wetsuit & board. Rather, quietly muse about the record drought of surf that is afflicting the entire state.

Then crawl back into bed with your significant other and promise to (a) socialize with his/her family/friends this weekend, and/or (b) get some chores done around the house.

Oh, and there are NFL playoff games both days this weekend. Now we all know what it's like to grow up in the rest of the country with nothing to do but drink and watch TV.

Anonymous said...

wow, that last dude just summed up my weeked, and it hasn't even happened yet.......

What do we think guys? is tomorrow going to present us with bigger better cleaner waves?

Once again thanks to the last guy that was funny and took away some of the sting from the lack of morning surf i guess

Anonymous said...

Help me!!!

Anonymous said...

i found better surf yesterday afternoon than today. WTF! These ground swells aren't showing yet and my best guess is they probably won't

Anonymous said...

Adam, what's the thought about that SOHemi this weekend? Will it hold up and show itself?

Anonymous said...

It's the end times, man; the end times.

Anonymous said...

poop.....poop is what is now!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so freakin depressed. I can't even socially function right now. I don't wanna talk, communicate, or do shit. I'm so bummed. I didn't realize how much of an a-hole I can be when there is no surf for such a long time. Self-condemnatory, I know, but WOW does my general attitude and disposition suck when the surf sucks. I don't even want to drink or do anything. I just want to go to sleep and wake up when all this crap weather and conditions are over.

Anonymous said...

Si, Senor. La vida chupas ahora.
La playa esta terrible.