Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Surf for Thursday – Cleaner but still some issues

Thursday is looking surfable but I don’t think that it is going to be a “surf day”.

We are going to see a mix of increasing SW swell (200-220), building WNW swell (290-300) and some more local W-NW windswell will all help to drive up wave heights. But weather and conditions look a bit unstable. We are basically slipping between a couple of springy cold fronts right now and the upper level stuff is all over the place.

Sizewise I am expecting surf in the chest high-chest high+ range for most exposed areas. The standout NW facing areas and the really good combo spots, mostly through San Diego, will have shoulder-head high surf.

Like I said the winds are a little dicey...the GFS and the National Weather Service are calling for light and variable conditions through the morning...while some of the other models are showing onshore flow. Personally I think it is going to be a bit of a crap shoot. If winds can lay down early tonight or if it gets really cold for some reason we might see lighter conditions in the morning...but I am not holding my breath.

With conditions and weather the way that it is forecast I don’t think that you should commit a ton of time to checking the surf tomorrow. There is enough swell in the water that it will be worth a look but I wouldn’t drive very far...if you are more than 10-15 minutes away from the beach you might think about just doing a cam check in the morning.

03:54AM LDT -0.5 L
09:51AM LDT 4.3 H
03:37PM LDT 0.7 L
09:41PM LDT 5.7 H

1 comment:

the dirtiest hippy said...

hey cool blog, just found out about it, very helpful, thanks!